Outrages of the Week in Food and Medicine

Ok, someone explain the logic behind this to me.  The egg isn’t in a cage, so it is allowed to be free- to roam around and enjoy the fresh air? And for this, we pay more because the egg, which is about to be scrambled, lived a beautiful egg free existence.

Ok- the real reason is they let the hens lay eggs anywhere and they gather them up instead of like a factory – but who cares? They taste the same. It is marketing- all marketing.

If you care so much about the chicken and the egg – stop eating them.

Lower Fat French Fries:
Does Burger King really care so much about our health that they are selling lower fat French Fries? And what a surprise, they are charging more for them. Here’s the best part: it is costing them less to make them, so they are still making money, and the amount of fat in these fries is 25% of the recommended amount of fat in a diet for a day. It isn’t a deal, and it isn’t healthy, and it is a rip off.  How do they make less fat fries, you ask? Simple: you cut the fry larger. A larger piece of potato means more potato per surface area- thus less oil per volume of fry.

Low Fat

With only 25% of your daily dose of fat– great work BK

Truvia and Stevia – the artificial sweetener
Truvia’s manufacturer, Cargill, agreed to settle a “class action” law suit because some plaintiffs in Minnesota were claiming that Truvia, unlike Stevia, isn’t really natural . Ok – let me get this right: Stevia is a “natural” artificial sweetener and Truvia is an “artificial” artificial sweetener.  Want this doctor’s advice about artificial sweeteners – avoid them, all of them. You don’t need anything that sweet, and if you ever had too much truvia or stevia – well, it tastes like your tongue is wrapped in Electrical tape.

A Two year old gets weight loss surgery
This is an outrage, and as someone who does weight loss surgery this is not something that the surgeons should be bragging about- they should be begging the medical world for forgiveness. The two year old didn’t need weight loss surgery – the two year old needs parents.  Like when I have to say no to my three year old son – I don’t like it, I have to put up with some crying sometimes, but it is part of the job description under “dad.”  If I fed my son crap, and lots of it, he could be obese – but his mom and I limit him.

Here is the sad fact: that child has a limited capacity in his stomach, and he wasn’t fed properly before surgery. So are those parents now going to pay attention to what he eats? Now they pay attention? Because if they don’t he will have severe micronutrient deficits – and he will starve. And starvation from lack of nutrients is a miserable, slow death – just like scurvy. I hope that child gets what he really needs — a parent.

Dr. Terry Simpson received his undergraduate and graduate degrees from the University of Chicago where he spent several years in the Kovler Viral Oncology laboratories doing genetic engineering. He found he liked people more than petri dishes, and went to medical school. Dr. Simpson, a weight loss surgeon is an advocate of culinary medicine. The first surgeon to become certified in Culinary Medicine, he believes teaching people to improve their health through their food and in their kitchen. On the other side of the world, he has been a leading advocate of changing health care to make it more "relationship based," and his efforts awarded his team the Malcolm Baldrige award for healthcare in 2011 for the NUKA system of care in Alaska and in 2013 Dr Simpson won the National Indian Health Board Area Impact Award. A frequent contributor to media outlets discussing health related topics and advances in medicine, he is also a proud dad, husband, author, cook, and surgeon “in that order.” For media inquiries, please visit www.terrysimpson.com.

Share this article on social media!

Latest Comments

1. Janelle says:

Sure is nice to see a professional speaking out with common sense. I especially feel bad for the 2 year old, and I feel even worse for him now than before. Thanks for speaking up. Much appreciated and shared.

2. Babydill says:

So True …so very True. TY for sharing this. I was 40 when I had the WLS & researched it thoroughly as you know. Two yrs old….what a shame.

3. Erin says:

Good to know you are outraged over the 2 yr old’s surgery. I agree…he needs some parents. It can be confusing all the information out there about artificial sweeteners. But the more I read and hear…its is right along with what you said. Avoid them. Thanks for the info!

4. Lynn says:

The article about the toddler who had weight loss surgery stated that the parents were massively obese and were from Saudi Arabia. I do know that in some Arabic countries such as Mauritania and possibly Saudi Arabia, girls are deliberately fattened in order to attract husbands. This child who had the weight loss surgery is male, but this type of overfeeding reminds me of the foot binding that used to be done to wealthy Chinese girls.
    Nonetheless, I see children who are not Arabic, who are tremendously obese and every day is one long meal. Do children need constant snacks? Do these children ever get a break from food?
    Also doc, I realize that you are talking about other things at the moment,but one of these free Brooklyn, NY newspapers states that there is a link between antibiotic use and breast cancer. Where does this idea originate and is there any truth to it? (this magazine represents a neighborhood and is not affiliated with a health food store) It also states that a low fat diet reduces the risk of breast cancer. When these articles trot out the old theory that breastfeeding reduces the risk, I wonder if this is not also an old wive’s tale.

5. Dr Simpson says:

Over-feeding is something many parents do for a bit until a pediatrician tells them to stop – who knows what happened with this kid, but the parents clearly thought this was ok- until they said it wasn’t.

Children feed pretty well if they are left – most parents want them to eat more than they need, and call their kids “picky” eaters. There is no “right” way to do this, but there are a lot of opinions. I have also seen well-intentioned parents who don’t give their kids enough sources of fat because they are afraid of the kids getting too fat – this leads to poor nutrition also.

No link to antibiotic use and breast cancer. Breastfeeding does reduce risk of breast cancer- it does not eliminate it.

6. Lynn says:

Look at your class picture from grade school and compare it to a grade school picture from today. What has changed? In this urban area (that I am posting from) people walk more but there are also eateries on every block because commercial blocks intersect residential. Plus size school uniforms dot the horizon. While there is not longer a competition for the biggest baby on the block or the winner of the clean plate club, the kids are clearly chubbier, especially the teens.
    Now that it is October, the pink ribbons are everywhere and apparently the news is that not only is a test available for other genetic mutations besides BRCA 1 and 2, but by the time my daughters hit menopause, a vaccine will be available for breast cancer. Being that I recently lost 2 friends to breast cancer and both had born and nursed large families, I regard the vaccine as the only reliable prevention.