Fireworks: Watch your Kids & Pets

It is hard to tell someone not to be stupid. They think they know better.  Is it any wonder that 60% of all fireworks accidents happen to people under the age of 25? Tragically, 10 percent happen to those under five years old.  Men are a bit more stupid than women – 75% of the accidents happen to the male gender — that means that there are a lot of women out there who are a bit daft when it comes to these accidents.

Those sparklers – they can reach temperatures of over 2000 degrees F.  My little five year old loves sparklers – and it is so tempting to put your hand over those pretty flames.

Fireworks2014InfoGraphic416x212The larger fireworks have blown off body parts. Last year two NFL players lost fingers — imagine that, you have million dollar hands and you risk them for fireworks?

Getting to close to professional fireworks can be dangerous too – every year some major accident happen and innocent onlookers can be injured.


Simple rules: fireworks and alcohol don’t mix.  Kids shouldn’t handle them.

Kids and dogs - fireworks are fascinate one and terrify the other. Please keep fireworks away from both.

Kids and dogs – fireworks are fascinate one and terrify the other. Please keep fireworks away from both.

But also – watch out for the dogs – they hate the loud noises.  Keep them inside, because every year someone loses a family pet. The dogs become scared of the noise and run.

My advice – but I am older — leave the fireworks to the professionals.

Follow these safety tips when using fireworks:


  • Never allow young children to play with or ignite fireworks.
  • Avoid buying fireworks that are packaged in brown paper because this is often a sign that the fireworks were made for professional displays and that they could pose a danger to consumers.
  • Always have an adult supervise fireworks activities. Parents don’t realize that young children suffer injuries from sparklers. Sparklers burn at temperatures of about 2,000 degrees – hot enough to melt some metals.
  • Never place any part of your body directly over a fireworks device when lighting the fuse. Back up to a safe distance immediately after lighting fireworks.
  • Never try to re-light or pick up fireworks that have not ignited fully.
  • Never point or throw fireworks at another person.
  • Keep a bucket of water or a garden hose handy in case of fire or other mishap.
  • Light fireworks one at a time, then move back quickly.
  • Never carry fireworks in a pocket or shoot them off in metal or glass containers.
  • After fireworks complete their burning, douse the spent device with plenty of water from a bucket or hose before discarding it to prevent a trash fire.

Dr. Terry Simpson About Dr. Terry Simpson
Dr. Terry Simpson received his undergraduate and graduate degrees from the University of Chicago where he spent several years in the Kovler Viral Oncology laboratories doing genetic engineering. He found he liked people more than petri dishes, and went to medical school. Dr. Simpson, a weight loss surgeon is an advocate of culinary medicine. The first surgeon to become certified in Culinary Medicine, he believes teaching people to improve their health through their food and in their kitchen. On the other side of the world, he has been a leading advocate of changing health care to make it more "relationship based," and his efforts awarded his team the Malcolm Baldrige award for healthcare in 2011 for the NUKA system of care in Alaska and in 2013 Dr Simpson won the National Indian Health Board Area Impact Award. A frequent contributor to media outlets discussing health related topics and advances in medicine, he is also a proud dad, husband, author, cook, and surgeon “in that order.” For media inquiries, please visit

Share this article on social media!